A Stronger, Better Credit Union Awaits!
Last month, we announced our intent to partner with North Central Area Credit Union, a credit union headquartered in Houghton Lake, Michigan. We have submitted our merger application to the state of Michigan and the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) to approve the partnership. We anticipate receiving approval in February and will ask for your vote to approve the merger, most likely this May. Following your approval, the merger could be completed as early as July 2023.
We also expect to take the North Central Area Credit Union name — or NCACU.
As your CEO, I’ve served First United Credit Union since 2010, and during the past year, we have been collaborating to help grow both credit unions.
In the last six months, I have partnered and served as CEO at North Central Area Credit Union (NCACU) as well as continuing to be CEO here at First United Credit Union. I have worked to instill an enhanced sales and service culture and implement new strategic initiatives at NCACU, which will continue in the new combined organization. During our work together, and after careful consideration, your Board of Directors decided that partnering with North Central Area Credit Union would be the best solution to ensure the needs of our members are met for generations to come.
As partners, we will focus on providing new financial solutions while reinvesting in the communities we serve. In addition to our lobby in Grandville, our service area would expand to include Houghton Lake, Roscommon, Grayling, and Standish in Northern Michigan.
Our exceptional First United CU culture will continue under this proposed partnership between the two credit unions, and Mark Richter will remain CEO of the combined credit union.
- Members of our Board of Directors will be appointed to the Board of Directors of the combined credit union to ensure your voice is represented at the highest level of the combined organization.
- There will be no downsizing or loss of jobs. As a larger combined credit union, we will have greater financial strength to provide competitive wages, benefits, and career opportunities.
- We foresee additional growth for everyone, including more service options, improved branch access, and increased staff availability.
- Because we operate under the same core computer system, the transition will be smooth and worry-free.
- A combined organization can offer more products and services, bring more products in-house, and assist with member workflows. We’ll also be in a position to expand our technologies and gain internal efficiencies.
- You will gain access to four additional full-service branches in North Central Michigan — in addition to our current office in Grandville. This brings us a total of five service locations! No offices will close.
All of us are incredibly excited!
The partnership will result in a strong and growing organization serving over 20,000 members upon regulatory approval and approval from First United Credit Union members. As a reminder, you will see no impact at the local level — only new opportunities.
We know you have questions, so in anticipation of some of those questions, we have a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page on our website and in our lobby. As we move forward and for updated information, watch your email or visit www.FirstUnitedCU.org.
President & CEO