Not heading to the sunny south over spring break? You’re not alone. We’ve compiled our favorite ideas to help you have some extra fun with the kids over spring break – all available to fill an afternoon or for an easy day or weekend trip! The key? Thoughtful planning ahead of time will ensure you have a game plan.
- Find a great hotel nearby, perhaps with a pool for the kids. You don’t have to travel a thousand miles to enjoy a night or two in a hotel with a great pool, a kid-friendly restaurant and maybe some nice shopping. Use your favorite app or website (Priceline, Expedia, etc.) to book a last-minute deal.
- Plan a day trip. There’s so much to do in West Michigan, even within an hour’s drive. Click here to see our favorite local destinations. If you don’t mind driving a few hours, there is even more to choose from!
- Have a family movie day/night. With the popularity of Netflix, Hulu and more, finding a show everyone can agree upon is easier than ever. Maybe have a binge day or night with your favorite series or family films. Pop some popcorn and spread out the blankets and pillows. Then enjoy a super family treat.
- Visit a museum. There are many excellent choices in Grand Rapids, greater West Michigan, and if you don’t mind a few hours’ drive-time, Chicago or Detroit. There are museums that cater to almost any subject and taste. There’s always something new to behold, no matter your age.
- Check out the local library. There are often extra activities during spring break. Usually free or for a nominal charge.
- Explore and see new sights, right in town! Check out a new restaurant or shopping location. Head to a new theater or something else.
As reported in GR Magazine last year, check out these top-rated local destinations.
- Lil Green Thumbs – Downtown Market Grand Rapids
- Spring Break Youth Camp – Humane Society Of West Michigan
- Free Admission And Activities – Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Spring Break Camp – John Ball Zoo
- Butterflies Are Blooming – Frederik Meijer Gardens And Sculpture Park
- Camp Mud – The Mud Room
- Events And Performers – Grand Rapids Children’s Museum
- Pool And Play Activities – Salvation Army Kroc Center
- Free Admission And Activities – Muskegon Museum Of Art
- Spring Break Camps – Air Zoo
Please call ahead for details and to ensure all activities are a go in 2019.