Many of us choose to stay away from the spring break rush, rather than heading south. It can be for a variety of reasons: economic, limited time off, work obligations, and a host of others. If you find yourself staying home this year, take note of our favorite “staycation” ideas.
- Stay at a fun hotel nearby, perhaps with a pool for the kids. Many excellent choices cater to families.
- Plan a day trip. There’s a lot to do on a tankful of gas, even as close as an hour’s drive. Click here to learn more about some favorite local destinations.
- Have a family movie day/night. With the popularity of Netflix, Hulu, and more, finding a show for everyone shouldn’t be a problem.
- Visit a museum. There are many excellent choices in Grand Rapids, greater West Michigan, and if you don’t mind a few hours’ drive-time, Chicago or Detroit.
- Check out the local library. Check out the extra activities usually available during spring break.
- Explore and see new sights, right in town! Check out a new restaurant or shopping location, or head to a new theater.
Sticking Close To Home?
If you have kids, Grand Rapids Kids offers 39 unique suggestions. Here are a few:
- Check out an array of camps and classes. These range from John Ball Zoo, the Goldfish Swim School to the Blandford Nature Center. Click on the link to see them all.
- Griffins game
- Check out the GR daily activities’ calendar, outdoor fun, and happenings at Easter.
- Staycation ideas for kids. A few recommendations for a day trip: Legoland® Discovery Center in Auburn Hills, Nelis’ Dutch Village, the Grand Rapids Art Museum, and more!
- The Butterflies are Blooming! Make a trip to Frederik Meijer Gardens.
- Trips drive-able in a day. These include Chicago, Wisconsin, and day trips to Indiana or Ohio.
GR Magazine shares these additional top-rated “staycation” destinations:
- Lil Green Thumbs – Downtown Market Grand Rapids
- Spring Break Youth Camp – Humane Society Of West Michigan
- Free Admission And Activities – Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Spring Break Camp – John Ball Zoo
- Butterflies Are Blooming – Frederik Meijer Gardens And Sculpture Park
- Camp Mud – The Mud Room
- Events And Performers – Grand Rapids Children’s Museum
- Pool And Play Activities – Salvation Army Kroc Center
- Free Admission And Activities – Muskegon Museum Of Art
- Spring Break Camps – Air Zoo
Please call ahead for details and to ensure all activities are on for 2020.