A lot is going on over the holidays: traveling, shopping, eating out, and busy work deadlines. But give yourself a break. Make this a time to reaffirm account safety and ways to handle your money better.
Our Best Holiday Tips
- Don’t share personal info over the phone, online, or via text message. This information includes debit or credit card information, Social Security Number, passwords, various account numbers, or driver’s license number.
- Change your passwords. Experts suggest changing your passwords every 90 days. Try a password manager such as Dashlane or Sticky Password.
- Monitor debit or credit card transactions. Use Online and Mobile Banking to keep an eye on things. Watch your cards while shopping or dining out.
- Enroll in eStatements and alerts to watch for fraudulent activity.
- Try storing your receipts via Virtual StrongBox. You can keep them organized and ready to access if needed.
- Sign up for IDProtect® at http://www.firstunitedcu.org/id-theft-protection/.
- Set a budget for holiday shopping and don’t overpay. Prepare ahead of time, draft a list, and see how you fare. If your list shows you’ll exceed what you want to spend, reduce the number of people you buy for or the amount per gift.
- Comparison shop. Use the internet to compare prices, features, and reviews. Also take advantage of online shopping offers. Retailers often offer unique codes to help you save more.
- Peruse second-hand stores. Brand-new goods that didn’t quite make the grade are often donated from retailers to thrift stores and sold for a fraction of the price.
- Get crafty. It’s the perfect time of year to make gifts for the ones you love.
- Open a Checking Account. We offer a variety of accounts that let you transact business in the way you prefer. You can take advantage of free Checking options (no minimum balance requirement, no monthly service charge) and Rewards Checking (earns interest and other perks).
- Enroll in Direct Deposit. Have your pay sent automatically to First United CU. You can budget your money better and set strong savings goals.
- Sign up for Mobile Banking. It’s the perfect tool to help you get more done over the holidays. Monitor your accounts, transfer money, pay bills, and make loan payments.
- Relax with Remote Deposit Capture. Make instant deposits with your smartphone for convenience and peace of mind.