If you need a few more ways to handle your money better, consider these tips:
- Set up payroll deduction into a specified savings account. You’ll see your savings grow painlessly.
- Try the envelope trick. Here, you designate envelopes with each budget category. Fill them with cash at the beginning of each month. When you see a category running low, you can cut back.
- Check ahead for grocery prices. Also, plan your meals and make a list before you shop! Impulse buying can add significantly to the bill.
- Find an accountability friend. Set up a friendly “savings competition” and see who reaches their goal first.
- Cut out the things you don’t use. With the new year, it makes sense to review what you’re paying on items. Cancel unused memberships, subscriptions, and other forgotten items.
- If you commute, carpool! Traveling with a friend can reduce your fuel expense and be more enjoyable.
- Bank your change. Find a jar and save that change every day! Some apps can help you with that as well — including our Debit Card Roundup.
- Wait on that purchase. Try waiting 24 hours before making a purchase. You may find you don’t really want it after all.